M Pesa FAQs
The agent took my cash but I didn’t receive any SMS confirming the deposit
There might be a network delay which may have affected the response time of the SMS. Please check your account balance after some time. If your account balance does not get updated & and you do not receive any SMS as well, call the customer support from the store itself. Do not leave the store until you get the confirmation through any of the two options mentioned above.
How do I protect my PIN in M-Pesa?
Please keep your PIN secret and do not share it with anyone. We will never call you for your PIN or ask for it when you call us. In case, you feel your PIN has been compromised any time, please reset it to a number of your choice or call Customer Support to have it reset.
When should I set my PIN in M-Pesa?
As soon as your registration is completed, you will receive an SMS confirming the same. You should immediately change the default PIN to a number of your choice.
Is M-Pesa safe and secure?
When you register for M-Pesa, you will set your confidential Personal Identification Number (PIN). PIN is required to authorise all your transactions and to get any account information. The PIN is not stored anywhere on the phone or at any server. The transmission between you and the server is highly secure and is done using encryption mechanism ensuring highest safety and security standards. The PIN is known to the M-Pesa account holder only. Even people at Vodafone or at the bank do not have access to your PIN as it is stored in our system in an encrypted format. Your money will always be safe even if you have accidently lost your phone, so long as you have not disclosed your PIN to anyone.
How do I deposit cash in my account?
You can deposit cash at any authorised M-Pesa agent location. No one other than an authorised M-Pesa agent can deposit money into your account. To know the M-Pesa agent near you, you may send an SMS – 'M-Pesa <city>' to 111.
Get to know M-Pesa
1. What is M-Pesa?
ICICI Bank and MCSL, a Vodafone group company, jointly present ‘M-Pesa’ a mobile money transfer service. This is an exclusive service for Vodafone subscribers. On applying for M-Pesa, customers get a mobile wallet issued by MCSL called ‘MCSL Wallet’ and also a Mobile Money Account with ICICI Bank. The Wallet and the Mobile Money Account are inter-operable and allow movement of money between both accounts seamlessly.
2. Who is a Registered User?
Registered M-Pesa users are customers who have a SIM on which they are registered at agents store and sign the terms and conditions document for the M-Pesa services and can do transactions via IVR/ USSD. They need a PIN to access their M-Pesa account. Money is received in M-Pesa account and the customers can withdraw it any time and in any amount. M-Pesa customers can do all transactions like sending money, withdraw, buy airtime, change PIN etc.
3. Who is an Unregistered User?
Unregistered M-Pesa users are customers who are not registered for the M-Pesa services and cannot do transactions via IVR/ USSD. They may be subscribers of Vodafone or any another mobile operator. They can withdraw money only if the voucher code received via SMS along with identity proof is available.
4. What can I do with M-Pesa?
You can send money to family and friends, recharge prepaid connection, pay postpaid bills, pay utility bills, pay for your shopping and much more with M-Pesa.
5. Who can use M-Pesa?
It can be used by Vodafone prepaid and postpaid mobile subscribers as well as any subscribers of other operators in India.
6. Do I need a GPRS enabled handset or a smart phone?
No. M-Pesa works on any mobile model/ handset. You do not need GPRS or a data plan. You just have to dial *400# and you will be able to use the menu.
7. Can anybody apply for M-Pesa? Can I have multiple accounts?
Any Indian resident who is 18 years and above can apply for M-Pesa. One person can have only one M-Pesa Account in his or her name.
8. What can I give as KYC documents for M-Pesa Account registration?
We need a documentary proof of your identity, address, a coloured passport size photograph and signature. Please bring the originals of proof of identity and address to the agent store for verification. This can be obtained from one document (Passport or Driving Licence) or through a combination of documents listed below PAN Card/ Voter's ID/ Valid ID cards from government departments/ marriage certificate/ utility bills (Electricity/ telephone)/ gas connection book/ municipal corporation bill/ letter from Housing Society (Only for the owners)/ Registered leave and Licence agreement (for tenants)/ credit card bill/ bank account statement (not older than three months)/ bank pass book/ wealth or income or sales or Service Tax Assessment order/ Life insurance premium receipt/ Registered Sale deed (for owners) and others.
9. Where all can I use M-Pesa?
Presently, you can use M-Pesa at all our Vodafone stores and authorised M-Pesa agents across all states in India.
10. Can I get a chequebook or account statement for my M-Pesa Account?
No. You will not get any cheque book for M-Pesa Account. You can get your last 5 transactions by dialing *400#. You can also call our Customer Care and request for a detailed account statement.
11. Can I visit ICICI Bank branch or ATM for accessing M-Pesa Account?
No. You can access your account directly through your mobile phone by dialing *400#.
12. I already have an ICICI Bank Account. Can I apply for M-Pesa Account?
Yes, you can apply for M-Pesa Account. As M-Pesa is a separate account from your ICICI Bank Account, you need to submit fresh set of documents for KYC and register for M-Pesa Account.
13. What is the maximum amount that I can hold as balance?
Maximum balance at any time for an M-Pesa Account is Rs. 1,00,000 for a KYC compliant customer.
14. What is maximum amount of cash that I can deposit in my account?
The maximum amount that you can deposit per day is Rs. 50,000 for KYC compliant customer.
15. What is the maximum amount that I can spend?
You can spend a maximum of Rs. 5,000 per transaction from your M-Pesa Account.
16. What is the maximum amount that I can send?
You can send a maximum of Rs. 5,000 per transaction to another M-Pesa customer. However, the sum total of money spent and sent in a particular day cannot exceed Rs. 50,000 for KYC compliant customer.
17. What is the minimum amount that I can send?
The minimum amount you can send at a time is Re. 1.
18. Is there a minimum balance requirement?
No, there is no minimum balance requirement. A customer is charged inactivity charges of Rs. 50 + GST if the account is inactive for a period of six months which is based on transactions you do.
Send Money using M-Pesa
1. Who can send money?
All Customers who have an M-Pesa Account can send money.
2. To whom can I send money?
You can send money to:
- Other registered M-Pesa customers as well as non-registered customers.
- Any bank account using IMPS/NEFT.
3. How long will it take to transfer the money?
Transfers to mobile numbers are instantaneous. If you are sending money to a bank account, IMPS will be instant and the transfer will take place as per the bank NEFT cycle.
|Working days||8:00 AM to 6:30 PM|
4. What details do I need to enter to send money to a M-Pesa customer?
You need to enter the recipient's mobile number and the amount you wish to send. You will have to authorise the transaction by entering your PIN.
5. What details do I need to enter to send money to a bank account?
To transfer money to a bank account you need to enter the following details:
- Beneficiary's mobile number
- Beneficiary's name (as registered with the bank)
- Beneficiary bank account number
- Beneficiary bank account IFSC Code
6. How will I know that the money has been transferred successfully?
If you are sending money to any mobile number, both you and the recipient will receive an SMS confirming the transfer. You can also dial *400# and check the balance to confirm. If you are sending money to a bank account, you will instantly receive an SMS confirming the request. As soon as the money request is registered with ICICI Bank, you will receive another SMS confirming the same. In case, of rejection of your request, you will receive an SMS stating the same.
7. What happens if the transaction has failed?
In the event of a failed transaction due to network issue, if you are sending money to mobile number, the amount will not be debited from your account. You will also receive an SMS informing you about the failure of the transaction. If you are sending money to a bank account, then the amount will be refunded to your account within 5 working days.
8. Do I need to register the recipient?
No, this is not compulsory. You can send money to a non-registered customer too.
9. Is there any charge for sending money?
Yes. There are charges applicable for this service. The charges are as mentioned earlier.
10. What is the maximum / minimum amount I can send?
Please visit the limits section.
11. Can only registered user send money?
Yes. Only those customers who have activated their M-Pesa Mobile Money Account can send money.
12. Can only registered user receive money?
No, both registered and unregistered user can receive money.
13. What is the TAT to withdraw money by an unregistered user?
If money is not en-cashed in 30 days by an unregistered user, it is credited back to the sender.
What is M-Pesa Bill Payment?
1. What is the M-Pesa bill payment?
M-Pesa bill payment is a service that allows you to pay your postpaid bill or that of any other postpaid customer. In addition you can pay for other utility services like DTH, electricity bills, insurance premium payments etc. The service can be accessed through an USSD /IVR.
2. What should I do to activate M-Pesa bill payment?
You do not need to activate the bill payment service separately. As long as you have an active M-Pesa account, you can start using the bill payment service.
3. What are the charges to activate the service?
No activation charges will be levied for this service.
4. Is M-Pesa bill payment service a safe and secure platform for transactions?
M-Pesa bill payment adheres to the highest security standards and is at par with any financial transaction platforms available globally. Your financial information is completely protected from misuse and hence, it is very secure.
5. Can some other Vodafone postpaid customer be able to pay my Vodafone postpaid bill through M-Pesa?
Yes. Any Vodafone postpaid customer who has activated M-Pesa service and has sufficient balance in his account can pay your postpaid bill.
6. Will I be charged anything for using M-Pesa bill payment services?
No. You will not be charged anything for using this service. This service is designed and developed within Vodafone and it comes to you absolutely free.
7. How will I know that my transaction is successful and my bill payment is done?
As soon as your transaction is completed, you will get an SMS confirming whether your transaction is successful or declined.
8. How long would it take for my bill payment to reflect on your system?
Postpaid bill payment transactions will reflect in your account within 4 hours.
9. Whom should I contact if my bill payment does not take place?
In case, your transaction is not successful, you can contact our Customer Care on 55400, our Customer Care Executives will be happy to help you.
10. What happens in case I enter a wrong Vodafone postpaid mobile number for bill payment?
In case, you enter a wrong Vodafone postpaid mobile number while doing your transaction, you may contact our Call Center. If the funds are not utilised the same can be reversed.
11. Can I use this service while roaming nationally and internationally?
Yes. You can only use M-Pesa bill payment service as long as you are roaming on the Vodafone network in India. Currently, it will not work on international networks. However, we will keep you informed when we launch this service on international networks as well.
12. If I pay for another number, then where will the transaction feature? Will it show in both the accounts?
In our billing systems, the transaction will only feature in the account for which you have made the bill payment.
13. The confirmation SMS hits which number? The customer who is paying or the account for which it has been paid?
On successful completion of the payment a confirmation SMS will be sent to the customer who is making the payment. In addition, the customer on whose behalf you have made the payment will also receive an SMS from Vodafone confirming the same.
14. Are there any limits on the amount I can transact for making bill payment on M-Pesa bill payment?
Yes, there are limits. Please refer to Limits section for the same.
15. Can I pay the bill for a suspended Vodafone mobile number?
Yes, in case, of a temporary suspension of a mobile number you can recharge or pay the bill for the same. However, if the mobile number is permanently disconnected it will feature as an invalid mobile number on the menu.
16. What is the size of the application?
It works on a USSD platform and it does not take any space of your handset.
Customer Support and Trouble shooting
1. What details do I need to verify when I call Customer Support?
You should have your identification information (given during registration / upgrade) when you call Customer Support on 55400.
2. What details are required if I call regarding a particular transaction?
You should have the transaction ID related to that transaction and you have to provide it to the Customer Care Executive.
3. What happens if I lose the mobile phone signal while using M-Pesa?
If this happens, the payment may or may not have been processed. To confirm, wait for a few seconds, and then check your account balance and activity history. If you are still unsure of the status of your payment, please call our Customer Care. Do not initiate a transaction again until you get confirmation of the previous transaction.
4. I get a supplementary service not-error while using *400#. What does this mean?
Normally, this not-error occurs when your session times out due to inactivity.
5. What do I do if my account gets locked?
Call Customer Care and unlock it. You need to provide authentication information before your account could be unlocked.
6. What happens if I make wrong PIN attempts?
After 5 incorrect PIN attempts, your account will automatically be locked by the system for security reasons. You need to contact Customer Care to unlock it. After necessary verification, you will be sent a new PIN to resume the service.
7. What if I forget my PIN?
Call the Customer Care to have them reset it for you. You need to provide authentication information before your PIN can be reset. You will get an SMS with a temporary PIN which you need to change the first time you use the service. You may also use Forgot PIN option in my account by dialing *400#.
8. What if I lose my mobile phone?
Even if you lose your mobile phone, no one will be able to access your M-Pesa account without your PIN. Since the PIN is not stored on the phone, your money is safe. Inform M-Pesa by calling Customer Care, so that we can block your account for further security.
9. What do I do if I buy a new phone?
The M-Pesa application is linked to your mobile number & not your handset. So you can change as many phones as you want and be still able to use the service uninterrupted.
10. What should I do if I change my mobile number?
M-Pesa works only on the same number on which you have registered your M-Pesa account. In case you only change your number and not your operator, you will not be able to continue using M-Pesa. Please call our Customer Care to deactivate your account.
11. I want to deactivate my M-Pesa account. How do I get my balance back?
We suggest you use the entire amount before getting the account deactivated. You may also submit a request at any Vodafone store for closure and settlement of your account.
12. Will subscribers of other service providers be able to call the M-Pesa Toll Free number?
13. Will it be Toll Free for them as well or chargeable? If yes, what would be the charges?
All calls to the toll-free numbers are free for all callers.
14. Can users (Vodafone as well as non-Vodafone) from other locations also connect to the Toll Free number?
15. What happens if the unregistered customer has deleted the SMS for fund transfer?
In such a case, the remitter should call the Call Centre and request them to resend the transfer code via SMS.
16. How will I know the authenticity of the M-Pesa agent?
The M-Pesa agent will have an agency code which will be displayed at the store. Only if this code is valid the customer will be able to withdraw cash at the agent store. Also any exchange of physical cash for M-Pesa will be done only after the SMS confirmation.
17. I am changing from postpaid to prepaid (or vice versa). Will you transfer my wallet?
As long as you use the same number, no change is required.
18. I do not have full documents with me, What if I am unable to provide full documentation at the time of registration?
In case, you are not able to meet our documentation guidelines, you can still operate as a semi-closed account. Later you can visit our authorised M-Pesa agent, provide them with the acceptable documents and your account will be updated to a KYC account where you can enjoy all the services offered by M-Pesa.
19. What if my verification fails?
If your verification fails due to of lack of proper documentation, we will intimate you and you may need to re-submit all the documents. If your KYC verification is rejected by ICICI Bank or if you do not have complete documentation, you can still use the semi closed account which allows you to make bill payments, recharge mobile number. You can also receive money from other M-Pesa customers. However at any given time, balance in your account should not exceed Rs. 20,000.
20. Can foreigners sign up for mobile money?
Foreigners can enroll for this service after submitting valid documents as per defined KYC list.
21. Is there a minimum deposit that I have to make while opening the account?
22. Is there an account opening fee?
23. Can I reverse payment if I made it to the wrong mobile number?
In such a case, we regret to inform you that we cannot take any request for reversal of your incorrect transaction. We suggest that you to speak to the recipient and request them to refund the amount to your account.
24. How can I get my account details changed or modified?
Customers need to submit a written request to authorised M-Pesa agent / store along with self-attested proof of identity.
Can my account get locked in M-Pesa? What should I do?
Yes, if we detect suspicious activity in your account, we may sometimes lock the account. This is largely to protect your money.
Will I be informed when my account gets debited or credited in M-Pesa?
Yes. A confirmation SMS will be sent whenever a transaction is processed from your acco
I forgot my M-Pesa PIN. What should I do?
Please call Customer Support to have it reset. You have to provide authentication information before your PIN can be reset. You will get an SMS with a temporary PIN which you need to change the first time you use the service. You may also use the Forgot PIN option in My Account by dialing *400#.