Updated: Aug 18, 2022, 14:28 ISTShare:
Have you taken a home loan or a loan against property? You may still need more funds for other purposes, like financing medical expenses, home renovation, your child’s education or marriage. You can meet these personal and business expenses by applying for a top-up loan.
Here are some important things to know about top-up loans before applying for one:
- Some banks offer top-up loans for a variety of purposes. So, if your goal is purchasing or refurbishing a home, you can take such a loan on top of your existing home loan to increase the borrowed amount. Other goals can be financing medical emergencies, children’s education, marriage, and travel costs. Try to choose such a bank so you can use the top-up loan for various big expenses.
- Usually, the eligibility criteria for a top-up loan is simple. If you have taken a home loan and paid EMIs for at least 1 year, a top-up loan is generally available.
- Once you meet the eligibility criteria, you can check the maximum amount and tenure for which you can take a top-up loan. This may be different between banks and will depend on your existing loan. Some banks offer loans of up to ?1 crore and a tenure of as long as 10 years.
- The application process for a top-up loan is simple and quick. You can apply online, from the comfort of your home. The disbursal may be instant or within 24 hours.
- The loan tenure also varies from bank to bank. If you want to make the EMIs affordable, it's a good idea to choose a lending bank that offers a maximum tenure of 10 years.
- If you want to do away with the cumbersome documentation procedure, see whether your bank offers top-up loans to its customers without asking for documents.
For more information on top-up loans or home loans, read other ICICI Bank blog posts.