ICICI Academy for Skills launches center in Narsobawadi
December 24, 2013
- To impart vocational training
- The Academy will train 5000 youth across the country in the first year of operation
Narsobawadi: ICICI Academy for Skills (ICICI Academy) today announced the launch of a centre at Narsobawadi in Kolhapur district of Maharashtra, to provide vocational training to the youth from the economically weaker sections to help them earn a sustainable livelihood.
The centre will offer courses in three disciplines - electrical & home appliance repair, refrigeration & air conditioning repair and pumps & motor repair.
ICICI Academy has formalised the content of the courses for electrical & home appliance repair, refrigeration & air conditioning repair and pumps & motor repair with best-in-class knowledge partners namely, Schneider Electric India Pvt. Ltd., Blue Star Ltd. and Crompton Greaves Ltd., respectively. The centre in Narsobawadi offers residential facilities for the students enrolled in these courses.
ICICI Foundation for Inclusive Growth (ICICI Foundation) started the ICICI Academy in line with its plan to promote inclusive growth. ICICI Academy aims to train 5,000 youth at nine training centres across the country in the first year of operation. It aims to train 15,000 youth across the country by the year 2016.
Announcing the launch, Mr. K.V.Kamath, Chairman, ICICI Bank said: "The ICICI Group, through its CSR and business initiatives, has worked towards building a social infrastructure that can help every person engage in productive and remunerative economic activity. The ICICI Academy has been set up as an extension of this belief wherein, we will look towards developing vocational skills in youth to help them earn a sustainable livelihood. We hope that the skills learned through this academy will equip individuals to play an important role in driving India's growth story in the coming decades."
Over the past five years, the ICICI Group and ICICI Foundation's CSR philosophy has been focusing on four key areas namely primary healthcare, elementary education, skill development for sustainable livelihoods and financial inclusion, enabling people to participate in the economic opportunities arising in India. These initiatives have impacted the lives of more than 10 million people across the country.
After launching its maiden centre in Jaipur two months ago, ICICI Academy launched centres in Chennai, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Pune and Coimbatore. It has also firmed up plans for centres in Patna and Guwahati.
In addition to the training offered at the centres, ICICI Academy will provide uniforms, meals and all relevant course material to the students. Each centre will also have a library for the students to use.
The key highlights of ICICI Academy are:
- Total seven courses on offer: electrical & home appliance repair, refrigeration & air conditioning repair, pumps & motor repair and industrial refrigeration & air conditioning repair for class X pass –outs; selling skills, web designing and office administration for graduates.
- The duration of the courses varies from 8 to 12 week.
- ICICI Foundation has tied up with several partners for generating the content of these courses. The partners are: Schneider Electric India Pvt. Ltd. for electrical & home appliance repair, Blue Star Ltd. for refrigeration & air-conditioning repair, Crompton Greaves Ltd. for pumps & motor repair, Voltas Ltd. for industrial refrigeration & air-conditioning repair, NIIT Ltd. for web designing and Tally Solutions Pvt. Ltd. for office administration.
- ICICI Foundation will create an online job portal where the trained youth can register themselves. The portal will be promoted among potential employers.
About ICICI Foundation: It was founded by the ICICI Group in early 2008, with a view to carry forward and build upon ICICI Group's legacy of promoting inclusive growth.
ICICI Foundation seeks to promote inclusive growth in India by contributing to the key enablers required for widespread participation in economic opportunities in the country. Through focused initiatives in the identified areas including primary healthcare, elementary education, skill development and sustainable livelihoods and financial inclusion, ICICI Foundation is working towards building capabilities and developing innovative models that can be replicated and scaled up in future. ICICI Academy operates under the aegis of ICICI Foundation.
The information in this release reflects our views and intent as of this date and is subject to change. ICICI Bank and the "I man" logo are the trademarks and property of ICICI Bank. The information contained in this document is for the purpose of general circulation only.
For Queries Related to Media:
Mr. Sujit Ganguli
Head, Brand and Corporate Communications
ICICI Bank Limited
Bandra Kurla Complex, Mumbai – 400051
For Press Queries please contact:
Chief Operating Officer
ICICI Foundation For Inclusive Growth