Benefits of Income Tax Return (ITR) Filing
Income Tax Return or ITR is an annual online activity that needs to be filed by every responsible Indian citizen - it keeps the record of your income and taxes that you are liable to pay during a year. Here are some benefits of filing ITR.
An ITR gives information about your yearly income and tax liability to the Income Tax Department. In fact, it is a mandatory activity that every citizen should do if, your gross annual income is more than the basic exemption limit, you have more than one source of income, you want to claim a tax refund, you wish to apply for a visa or loan, among others. Keeping aside the compulsion for ITR filing, an ITR receipt can be actually beneficial in many ways.
Listed below are the benefits of filing ITR:
- Easy loan approval: ITR filing can help you get easy approval on loans like Personal Loan, Car Loan, home loan etc. At the time of loan processing, lenders always ask borrowers to submit ITR documents of the last three years. This enables the banks to know your income stability, which thereby helps in quick sanction
- One of the best options for address and income proofs: If you do not have proper address proof when you apply for a loan or any other facility, an ITR document will save you from the hassle. In fact, you can also submit it as proof of income. So, be sure to preserve your ITR receipt as a proof of your income and paying regular taxes
- Quick Visa processing: When you’re applying for a Visa, embassies of countries like the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada ask for ITR receipt of the past three years. Visa processing requires you to be tax compliant as it gives them an assurance of your income and ability to manage expenses on your trip
- Claim tax refund: One of the biggest benefits of ITR filing is you get to claim a tax refund.. If you have made investments in tax saving instruments and have paid more income tax, you are liable for a tax refund
- Compensate for losses: As per the income tax laws, individuals cannot carry forward losses faced in the current financial year to the next financial year. Hence, it is important to file an ITR on time
Benefits of filing income tax return should not be taken for granted. If you are not filing or there is a delay, a tax officer has the right to impose a penalty of up to Rs 10,000. In case you’re delaying it, you are required to pay interest. Typically, an ITR should be filed by July 31st of any year. Make sure you file it before the assessment year in order to avoid penalties of any kind and reap the above benefits.
The contents of this document are meant merely for information purposes. The information contained herein is subject to updation, completion, revision, verification and amendment and the same may change materially. The information provided herein is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any jurisdiction where such distribution or use would (by reason of that person‘s nationality, residence or otherwise) be contrary to law or regulation or would subject lClCl Bank or its affiliates to any licensing or registration requirements. This document is not an offer, invitation or solicitation of any kind to buy or sell any security and is not intended to create any rights or obligations. Nothing in this document is intended to constitute legal, tax, securities or investment advice, or opinion regarding the appropriateness of any investment, or a solicitation for any product or service. Please obtain professional legal, tax and other investment advice before making any investment. Any investment decisions that may be made by you shall be at your sole discretion, independent analysis and at your own evaluation of the risks involved. The use of any information set out in this document is entirely at the recipient's own risk. The information set out in this document has been prepared by ICICI Bank based upon projections which have been determined in good faith by lClCl Bank and from sources deemed reliable. There can be no assurance that such projections will prove to be accurate. lClCl Bank does not accept any responsibility for any errors whether caused by negligence or otherwise or for any loss or damage incurred by anyone in reliance on anything set out in this document. The information set out in this document has been prepared by ICICI Bank based upon projections which have been determined in good faith and sources considered reliable by lClCl Bank. In preparing this document we have relied upon and assumed, without independent verification, the accuracy and completeness of all information available from public sources or which was provided to us or which was otherwise reviewed by us. Past performance cannot be a guide to future performance. 'lClCl ' and the 'I-man' logo are the trademarks and property of lCICl Bank. Misuse of any intellectual property, or any other content displayed herein is strictly prohibited.
Scroll to top