Understanding Overdraft against Fixed Deposit (FD) and its Benefits
Fixed Deposit (FD) accounts help you invest a lump sum for a fixed term. And the same remains deposited for the period you choose, plus the interest you earn is available at the end of the FD’s term; upon maturity.
After opening an FD account, you will come across an Overdraft (OD) facility as well. The same is provided by ICICI Bank in case you need to withdraw money against an FD..
Here we'll discuss the benefits and considerations of taking an overdraft against an FD with ICICI Bank.
Benefits of Taking an Overdraft Against an FD with ICICI Bank:
Taking a Fixed Deposit overdraft can be beneficial for those who need urgent funds, as it allows quick access to funds, and you don't even need to break your FD for this. This can be beneficial for other reasons as well.
1. Flexibility of Tenure: With a maximum tenure of 18 months, you can choose a duration that suits you best. The flexibility of terms allows you to plan your finances and can help avoid any unnecessary financial strain.
2. Zero Processing Fees: The absence of processing fees makes the fixed deposit overdraft a cost-effective solution for your financial needs. You won't need to worry about extra charges when you apply for the funds, subject to terms and conditions.
3. No Prepayment Charges: You can prepay back the overdraft amount whenever you wish without any prepayment penalty. This way, you have the freedom to manage your finances better and save on interest costs, subject to terms and conditions.
4. Customer-friendly Interest Rates: ICICI Bank’s fixed deposit overdraft comes with customer-friendly interest rates, making it an attractive option for FD holders to get funds at a reasonable cost.
5. Easy Documentation: The documentation process for a fixed deposit overdraft is simple and hassle-free. All of this makes it easy for you to avail of the facility when needed.
6. OD Auto-renewal Facility: The overdraft facility gets renewed when the fixed deposit is renewed. So you don't have to go through the documentation process again to avail of an overdraft facility.
Considerations When Taking an Overdraft Against an FD:
While the OD facility can be beneficial, some factors should be considered before deciding to take an OD against an FD.
1. Check Interest Rates: When considering an OD facility against an FD, it is vital to check the interest rates charged. These are charged against your FD return rate, so make sure you know the same before applying for an OD.
2. Check for Fees: Make sure to check for any fees associated with the OD facility, such as processing or renewal fees. This will help you determine the facility's total cost and avoid surprises. What’s more, ICICI Bank won’t charge any processing/renewal fee, so you don't need to worry.
3. Consider Loan Amount: Evaluate the loan amount needed and whether the OD facility can provide the required amount. If the amount needed exceeds the OD limit, it may be a good idea to consider other options..
4. Manageable Repayment Terms: Ensure that the repayment terms of the OD facility are manageable and you can repay them easily. This way, you can avoid penalties on your FD returns. Having a repayment plan beforehand is always a good idea.
By following these pointers, you can make an informed decision about whether an overdraft facility against your FD is the right option to meet your financial needs.
Scroll to top