Credit Card Payment Procedure: All You Need To Know
March 16, 2021
Credit Cards make payments a whole lot easier. You can buy now and pay later at your convenience. However, failing to pay your Credit Card bills on time can lead to heavy penalties and interest on the outstanding amount. So, it is of utmost importance to clear all your dues before the due date. If you’re unclear about how to make your credit card bill payments, you have come to the right place. Here’s everything you need to know about various payment procedures related to Credit Cards.
Credit Card bill payment options:
When it comes to paying Credit Card bills, online payment options are by far the easiest way to do so. Making Credit Card payments through various online modes takes only a few minutes of your time. It can be done from almost anywhere in the world, at any time. Let’s take a look at some of the popular methods of online Credit Card bill payment.
1. Through a dedicated Credit Card online portal
If your Credit Card issuer has a dedicated online portal, you can utilise the following general steps to make the payment:
- Visit the online portal of your Credit Card issuer
- Log in using the user ID and password given to you
- Once you’ve logged in, initiate the payment for your Credit Card bill
- You will likely be redirected to a payment gateway
- Here, you can choose the mode of payment, such as a debit card or net banking
- After you’ve chosen the mode and made the payment, you will be redirected to the online portal once again
- The details of your payment would most likely get reflected almost immediately in your account.
2. Through the Internet Banking portal
This method of payment is perfect for people who have availed a Credit Card from a bank in which they already have an account. For instance, if you possess an ICICI Bank Credit Card and an ICICI Bank Account, you can pay your Credit Card bills right from the ICICI Bank Internet Banking portal. Here are the steps that you’ll need to follow:
- Visit the internet banking portal and log in with your user ID and password
- Once you’ve logged in, navigate to the ‘Credit Card’ section of your Internet Banking portal
- Select the right Credit Card and make the payment
- Upon clicking the relevant button for payment, your bank will automatically debit your bank account and credit the same towards your Credit Card almost instantaneously.
3. Through NEFT or IMPS
You can also make your Credit Card payments through either the National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT) or Immediate Payment Service (IMPS) facility of your bank’s Internet Banking platform. Here’s how:
- Log in to your bank’s Internet Banking platform using your login credentials
- Navigate towards the ‘Funds Transfer’ section of the portal
- Add your Credit Card as an account payee beneficiary
- While adding the beneficiary, enter the Credit Card number under the account number tab
- The next step is to enter the Indian Financial System Code (IFSC). For getting the relevant IFSC, you will have to refer to your Credit Card provider. For instance, the IFSC for ICICI Bank Credit Cards is ICIC0000103
- Once you’ve added the beneficiary, you can make the payment either through the NEFT or IMPS option
- If you’re using this method of payment, always ensure that you initiate the transfer a few days before the due date, since there might be a slight delay in processing the payment.
4. Through UPI
You can even make your Credit Card bill payments through the Unified Payments Interface (UPI). All that you need is a UPI-enabled digital wallet and the relevant UPI ID for your Credit Card. Listed below are the steps that you’re required to follow:
- Open your UPI-enabled digital wallet on your smartphone
- Initiate a new payment with the UPI ID
- Enter the UPI ID for your Credit Card. For ICICI Bank Credit Card payments, the UPI ID would be “<ccpay. your credit card number @icici>”
- Once you’ve entered the UPI ID, you need to make a payment through the app.
While making Credit Card bill payments online can save you a lot of time and effort, there may still be some of you who prefer to do this through offline modes. For doing so, you could walk into any one of your Credit Cards’ issuing bank’s branches, manually fill up the requisite challan and make the Credit Card payment over-the-counter.
Alternatively, you could walk into your Credit Card issuing bank’s ATM, manually fill up the requisite challan, attach a cheque or a Demand Draft (DD) drawn towards the Credit Card bill payment and drop it in the relevant drop box placed in the ATM.
The contents of this document are meant merely for information purposes. The information contained herein is subject to updation, completion, revision, verification and amendment and the same may change materially. The information provided herein is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any jurisdiction where such distribution or use would (by reason of that person‘s nationality, residence or otherwise) be contrary to law or regulation or would subject lClCl Bank or its affiliates to any licensing or registration requirements. This document is not an offer, invitation or solicitation of any kind to buy or sell any security and is not intended to create any rights or obligations. Nothing in this document is intended to constitute legal, tax, securities or investment advice, or opinion regarding the appropriateness of any investment, or a solicitation for any product or service. Please obtain professional legal, tax and other investment advice before making any investment. Any investment decisions that may be made by you shall be at your sole discretion, independent analysis and at your own evaluation of the risks involved. The use of any information set out in this document is entirely at the recipient's own risk. The information set out in this document has been prepared by ICICI Bank based upon projections which have been determined in good faith by lClCl Bank and from sources deemed reliable. There can be no assurance that such projections will prove to be accurate. lClCl Bank does not accept any responsibility for any errors whether caused by negligence or otherwise or for any loss or damage incurred by anyone in reliance on anything set out in this document. The information set out in this document has been prepared by ICICI Bank based upon projections which have been determined in good faith and sources considered reliable by lClCl Bank. In preparing this document we have relied upon and assumed, without independent verification, the accuracy and completeness of all information available from public sources or which was provided to us or which was otherwise reviewed by us. Past performance cannot be a guide to future performance. 'lClCl ' and the 'I-man' logo are the trademarks and property of lCICl Bank. Misuse of any intellectual property, or any other content displayed herein is strictly prohibited.