Income Tax Saving Investment Schemes
There are various types of investment options available for taxpayers, but it can be confusing as to which scheme one should invest in. Let’s get to know some of the Income Tax Savings scheme in this article.
When a new financial year begins, it is also the time for every taxpayer to declare investments to save maximum taxes. Saving taxes is a great way to accumulate money, which can be used to fund short or long-term life goals. However, the most confusing question in taxpayers' minds is what kind of Income Tax Saver schemes can help to save taxes. There are various schemes that you can invest, and you can make a suitable choice depending on your financial needs:
Here are some of the Income Tax Saving Schemes:
- 5-year Fixed Deposit Scheme: This type of Fixed Deposit is one of the best Tax-Saving schemes offered by ICICI Bank under which you can save tax under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act. You can start with a lump sum investment of Rs 10,000 in a year. It offers assured returns. No premature or auto-renewal facility is available.
- National Pension System: This is a Government-sponsored Income Tax Savings scheme that lets you plan your retirement and save tax under 80C of the Income Tax Act. NPS is a voluntary market-linked scheme that is managed by professional fund managers. You can start with a minimum investment of Rs 500 per month. The rate of interest could vary between 3% and 10% per annum.
- Public Provident Fund: This is a long-term investment scheme wherein all deposits made under the account are subject to tax deductions under Section 80C of the ITA. The interest and accumulated amount are also exempt from taxes at the time of withdrawal. PPF allows a minimum investment of Rs 500, which can be in lump sum or split in 12 monthly instalments. The current rate of interest is 7.1% per annum.
- Equity Linked Savings Scheme (ELSS): ELSS is a market-linked tax saving scheme that allows you to save tax u/s 80C of ITA. It is the only category under Mutual Funds offering tax benefit. Starting with a regular Systematic Investment Plan, you can do a minimum of Rs 500 periodically. Since ELSS investments are focussed on equities, you can earn high returns at the rate of 15% p.a., provided it is done with a long-term investment approach. ELSS has 3 years lock-in period wherein you cannot make the premature withdrawal.
- Unit Linked Investment Plan (ULIP): Under Section 80C of the Income Tax, ULIP lets you save tax up to Rs 1.5 lakh in a year on the premiums paid towards the scheme. It is a combination of investment and insurance scheme. The rate of interest can range from 5% to 10%. The investments in ULIPs are subject to risks as it is associated with the capital market.
- Life Insurance: Having a Life Insurance policy is one of the essential parts of financial planning. More than letting you save tax on the premiums paid under Section 80C, an insurance policy provides financial security to your family in case you’re not around.
As a taxpayer, you can invest in any of these Income Tax Savings schemes taking into account your financial needs.
The contents of this document are meant merely for information purposes. The information contained herein is subject to updation, completion, revision, verification and amendment and the same may change materially. The information provided herein is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any jurisdiction where such distribution or use would (by reason of that person‘s nationality, residence or otherwise) be contrary to law or regulation or would subject lClCl Bank or its affiliates to any licensing or registration requirements. This document is not an offer, invitation or solicitation of any kind to buy or sell any security and is not intended to create any rights or obligations. Nothing in this document is intended to constitute legal, tax, securities or investment advice, or opinion regarding the appropriateness of any investment, or a solicitation for any product or service. Please obtain professional legal, tax and other investment advice before making any investment. Any investment decisions that may be made by you shall be at your sole discretion, independent analysis and at your own evaluation of the risks involved. The use of any information set out in this document is entirely at the recipient's own risk. The information set out in this document has been prepared by ICICI Bank based upon projections which have been determined in good faith by lClCl Bank and from sources deemed reliable. There can be no assurance that such projections will prove to be accurate. lClCl Bank does not accept any responsibility for any errors whether caused by negligence or otherwise or for any loss or damage incurred by anyone in reliance on anything set out in this document. The information set out in this document has been prepared by ICICI Bank based upon projections which have been determined in good faith and sources considered reliable by lClCl Bank. In preparing this document we have relied upon and assumed, without independent verification, the accuracy and completeness of all information available from public sources or which was provided to us or which was otherwise reviewed by us. Past performance cannot be a guide to future performance. 'lClCl ' and the 'I-man' logo are the trademarks and property of lCICl Bank. Misuse of any intellectual property, or any other content displayed herein is strictly prohibited.
Scroll to top