ICICI Academy for Skills launches centre in Chennai
November 26, 2013
- To impart vocational training
- The Academy will train 5,000 youth across the country in the first year of operation
Chennai: ICICI Academy for Skills (ICICI Academy) today announced the launch of a centre in Chennai to provide vocational training to the youth from the economically weaker sections to help them earn a sustainable livelihood.
The centre will offer courses on three disciplines- selling skills, office administration and web designing- for graduates. ICICI Academy has formalised the content of the courses for office administration and web designing in consultation with best-in-class knowledge partners namely, Tally Solutions Pvt. Ltd and NIIT Ltd, respectively. The Bank will use in-house expertise to impart the training on selling skills. Together with the partners, ICICI Academy aims to provide world class content and training.
ICICI Foundation for Inclusive Growth (ICICI Foundation) started the ICICI Academy in line with its plan to promote inclusive growth. ICICI Academy aims to train 5,000 youth at nine training centres across the country in the first year of operation. It aims to train 15,000 youth across the country by the year 2016.
Announcing the launch, N.S. Kannan, Executive Director, ICICI Bank said: "The ICICI Group is carrying forward its long tradition of partnering in nation-building, through its business and CSR initiatives. The ICICI Academy for Skills is aimed at equippingthe youth with the skills that will enable them to earn sustainable livelihoods and participate in the economy. Through this initiative, we are working towards realising the immense potential of India’s demographic dividend."
Over the past five years, the ICICI Group and ICICI Foundation’s CSR philosophy has been focusing on four key areas namely elementary education, primary healthcare, skill development for sustainable livelihoods and financial inclusion, enabling people to participate in the economic opportunities arising in India. These initiatives have impacted the lives of more than 10 million people across the country.
After launching its maiden centre in Jaipur last month, ICICI Academy is setting up centres in Chennai, Hyderabad, Bangalore and Pune this week. It has also firmed up plans for centres in Coimbatore, Sangli, Patna and Guwahati.
In addition to offering training free of cost, ICICI Academy will provide uniforms, meals and all relevant course material to the students. Each centre will also have a library for the students to use.
The key highlights of ICICI Academy are:
- Total six courses on offer: Selling skills, office administration and web design for graduates. Electrical & home appliance repair, refrigeration & air conditioning repair and motor & pump repair for class X pass-outs.
- The duration of the courses is about 8 - 12 weeks.
- ICICI Foundation has tied up with several partners for generating the content of these courses.
- The partners are: Tally Solutions Pvt. Ltd. for office administration, Blue Star Ltd. for refrigeration & air-conditioning, NIIT Ltd. for web designing, Crompton Greaves for pumps & motor repair and Schneider Electric India Pvt. Ltd. for electrical & home appliance repair.
- ICICI Foundation will create an online job portal wherein the trained youth can register themselves. The portal will be promoted among potential employers.
About ICICI Bank: It was founded by the ICICI Group in early 2008, with a view to carry forward and build upon ICICI Group's legacy of promoting inclusive growth.
ICICI Foundation seeks to promote inclusive growth in India by contributing to the key enablers required for widespread participation in economic opportunities in the country. Through focused initiatives in the identified areas including primary healthcare, elementary education, skill development and sustainable livelihoods and financial inclusion, ICICI Foundation is working towards building capabilities and developing innovative models that can be replicated and scaled up in future. ICICI Academy operates under the aegis of ICICI Foundation.
Mr N S Kannan, Executive Director, ICICI Bank interacting with students from the ICICI Academy for Skills launched in Chennai today.
For press queries:
Chief Operating Officer
ICICI Foundation For Inclusive Growth